When we feel like we have no control over anything in our life, it feels overwhelming and depressing.
Throughout this year, it felt like we had no say, no power, no control. We made adjustments to live with social distancing, wearing masks and hearing frightening numbers of rising COVID cases and deaths. I am lucky; only one person in my family got sick with COVID and he recovered quite well. But the impact is real. This is our world now.
Because of this, it is easy to slip into bad habits and also feel like we can’t make any real plans.
Most of us did not know how different 2020 would end up from where it started.
What can we do to cope with this situation? How can we deal with this ongoing into 2021?
Create Your Day
What does creating your day even mean?
This is about:
- Setting your intention of having a positive day.
- Creating a mindset that is about being present but also looking forward.
- Establishing simple routines and habits to make your day more meaningful.
Let’s say you work from 10 – 6, Monday – Friday. Typically, your day consists of meetings, phone calls and emails. Regardless of where I worked, even as an entrepreneur, my workday looked something like that for the past 20 years.
Now, let’s add some fun and some mindfulness into that day.
- Before you start working, make sure you have water beside you.
- Stop and stretch throughout the day.
- Feeling like you don’t belong or don’t fit in? Stand up, put your hands on your hips, like a super hero.
- I dare you to NOT put a smile on your face if you stand like a super hero for a few minutes. I can see your cape blowing in the background right now!
- Before you go to bed, journal to get all those thoughts out of your head.
- Throughout the day, find something positive to say to someone, hug your child or stroke your pet beside you. It feels soooo good!
Create Your Life
Developing these habits have such an impact on your life, it can’t help but start to feel like a better day and life. I know we all feel down sometimes. If you are struggling with depression or are in crisis, please seek professional help immediately.
For the regular blues and COVID-sadness, we need to do what we can do to help ourselves. The more positive things we do in our day, everyday, the more our life feels like we can do whatever we set our minds to. The truth is, if you never do anything towards your goals, or if you simply make no effort to make adjustments to your attitude and self-limiting beliefs, you are right. Nothing will go right. The only thing that may change is that it could actually get worse.
Instead, focus on creating the life you want. Do you want to write your own book? Start today. It only takes 10 minutes of writing each day, and you’ll have your book finished before you know it.
Everything we do is one step at a time. Keep taking those steps and you will get there!
Want more inspiration? Join the Step, Step, Pick Facebook group.